Plant Prefab is the first prefabricated home factory in the nation dedicated to sustainable construction, materials, processes, and operations. Plant manufactures custom, single-family and multi-family homes that are high-quality, healthy, and durable. With their patented building system, Plant delivers lower-cost homes in half the time and with less waste than traditional, site-based contractors. Plant models are fully customizable and available to individuals, developers, and architects. Plant was spun out of LivingHomes, and major funding was provided by Amazon and Obvious Ventures. The company currently operates out of a 62,000-square-foot facility in Rialto, CA, with a design studio in Santa Monica, CA.
Plant seeks a Safety Manager to lead and grow the company’s overall safety program. Addressing safety throughout all operations, the Safety Manager will lead the charge to ensure our safety program is world-class; maintaining an atmosphere that is safe for our clients, employees, and the environment. The target will be a program that sets a standard for the prefabricated and factory-built construction industry. This initiative requires the Safety Manager to be able to integrate well within a cross-functional team for a company that is ever-expanding, with many areas to grow and scale. The Safety Manager is ultimately responsible for the corporate safety culture and its successful tactical implementation. The position will be based in our Rialto, CA headquarters and report to the Vice President of Manufacturing.
• Grow, deploy, and lead a world-class safety program within the prefabricated and factory-built housing industry.
• Manage the Plant Prefab Safety Program for the Rialto facility and all future facilities.
• Control the creation and release of all safety documentation.
• Deploy facility security protocols.
• Oversee investigations of incidents or near misses regarding safety items; drive corrective action.
• Provide engineering support to ensure safety in all industrial operations and projects.
• Develop annual goals, strategy, initiatives, and budget for safety initiatives.
• Develop and author standard operating procedures for safety, including evolving best practices, and integrate them into company culture and documentation.
• Conduct ergonomic assessments and improvement plans. Develop ergonomic standards and procedures for the company.
• Lead Plant’s Safety Committee and deploy initiatives accordingly.
• Maintain all documentation of internal/external ADA, OSHA, and EPA compliance audits, inspection records, countermeasures, and other related documents.
• Report and articulate key safety KPI’s and issue(s) to senior leadership.
• Develop and mentor “Safety Coordinators” in appropriate departments to ensure that best practices are implemented and tracked.
• Educate staff on safety trends, practices, and emerging technologies.
• Maintain up-to-date knowledge on changes to federal, state, and local safety-related regulations and ordinances.
• Review, provide critical feedback, and release all industrial projects in regard to safety compliance.
• Identify non-value-added operations in the organization and propose new operational procedures to achieve leaner design and manufacturing processes.
• Account for the environment, health, safety, and sustainability in every task.
• Manage various other activities as assigned to support the success of the organization.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Associate degree (B.S. or B.A preferred) in engineering, safety management, industrial hygiene, environmental science, business development, or related technical discipline
• Certified Safety Professional or similar accreditation is a plus
• Minimum three (3) years’ work experience in safety and safety compliance (ideally within the construction industry); coupled with the demonstration of exceptional ability
• Management at a leadership level in terms of developing, growing, executing, and ensuring compliance with a safety program in a mid-to-large company setting
• Understanding of a typical manufacturing facility; terms, and associated industrial workings including key items such as: automated and manual fabrication, facility layout, and lean manufacturing principles (as they relate to safety)
• Strong knowledge of OSHA, ADA, EPA, and Ergonomic standards; ability to interface with government agencies on behalf of the company
• Ability to be a creative thinker and devise clever solutions to everyday problems
• Team player; ability to work in an upbeat, multi-cultural environment with cross functional teams
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Proficient with common workplace software (Microsoft Office Suite, etc.)
• Strong interpersonal skills; proficiency in developing and delivering presentations to all levels of an organization
• Strong motivation to support the company mission
• Applicant will be subject to passing a drug screening and background check
• Applicant must be authorized to legally work in the U.S.; no sponsorship is available
Salary + Benefits:
• Salary, performance-based bonus, and stock options commensurate with experience and skills
• Excellent medical, vision, and dental insurance
• The opportunity to work with great architects and meaningfully contribute to projects that improve the quality of life for people and the planet
Please apply on Workable, taking care to complete all required fields, including cover letter. No applications will be accepted without a cover letter.