Plant Prefab is the first prefabricated home factory in the nation dedicated to sustainable construction, materials, processes, and operations. Plant manufactures custom, single-family and multi-family homes that are high-quality, healthy, and durable. With their patented building system, Plant delivers lower-cost homes in half the time and with less waste than traditional, site-based contractors. Plant models are fully customizable and available to individuals, developers, and architects. Plant was spun out of LivingHomes, and major funding was provided by Amazon and Obvious Ventures. The company currently operates out of a 62,000-square-foot facility in Rialto, California, with a design studio in Santa Monica, CA.
The Plant Building System Manufacturing CAD Engineer will be responsible for modeling structures and components for our modular projects along with our next-generation Plant Building System (PBS) components. This individual will create shop drawings, takeoffs, machine files, and executable BOMs for all projects according to our best practice standards. The PBS Manufacturing CAD Engineer will also work with management and production teams at our factories to improve virtual fabrication and operational processes for our building products, driving a design for manufacture mindset with each. This position reports to our Process Engineering Manager.
• Develop and document drafting methods and standards with PBS design and process engineers.
• Seamlessly integrate Revit files and PDF plans to CAD and CNC data.
• Create takeoffs for material ordering, cut list for material optimization, shop drawings for production, and full executable BOMs for all projects.
• Create and maintain detailed Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for CAD processes to achieve production efficiencies and drive productivity.
• Ensure adherence to Plant Prefab standard processes and procedures.
• Develop process initiatives to manage projects from design for manufacture through the virtual fabrication process and its implementation.
• Create detailed quality control checklists; conduct tests and quality assurance checks to verify the quality of information output (autonomous quality).
• Spearhead various research and development initiatives to identify opportunities for new methods and improved processes.
• Communicate and collaborate with other managers, suppliers, and contractors.
• Prepare and deliver various CAD presentations, both internally and externally.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• B.S. in engineering, architecture, building science, or a related technical discipline
• Minimum of five years of home design experience, which must include custom, high-quality homes
• Minimum of three years of experience of 3D modeling, preferably of business or residential structures
• Experience with Cadwork or a similar, transferable CAD platform (Revit, ArchiCAD, MiTek Sapphire, etc.)
• Understanding of a typical manufacturing facility, terms, and associated industrial workings; specific awareness of automated and manual fabrication, facility layout, and lean manufacturing principles is beneficial
• Experience with Housing and Community Development (HCD) standards are a plus
• Ability to read and analyze drawings and specifications
• Ability to analyze inefficiencies and problems, identify root causes, and provide effective solutions
• Proven interpersonal communication skills distilling complicated topics to a broader audience
• Startup mindset and self-motivated attitude with the ability to multitask and thrive in a timeline-driven environment
• Strong written and verbal communication capabilities
• Analytical and mathematical mindset, capable of evaluating and solving various complex problems
• Excellent time management skills, organizational competencies, and project management skills
• Skilled in Microsoft Office suite
• Creativity and ability devise clever solutions to everyday problems
• Ability to work cross-functionally as a true team player in a multi-cultural environment
• Authorized to work in the U.S. (sponsorship not available)
• Subject to passing a background check and reference checks
Salary + Benefits:
• Salary, performance-based bonus, and stock options commensurate with experience and skills
• Excellent medical, vision, and dental insurance
• The opportunity to work with great architects and meaningfully contribute to projects that improve the quality of life for people and the planet
• The opportunity to join a successful startup that's reinventing an industry
Please apply on Workable, taking care to complete all required fields, including cover letter. No applications will be accepted without a cover letter.